This animation video, produced in accordance with the mandate for dissemination of information on decolonization, highlights the UN’s path of decolonization since 1945, especially its commitment in eradicating colonialism towards our common future.
The Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) substantively supports the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence of Colonial Countries and Peoples (also known as the “Special Committee on Decolonization” or “C-24”), whose role is to monitor implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples (General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV)) and to make recommendations to the General Assembly on its application.
Among its functions, DPPA's Decolonization Unit:
- Monitors political, economic and social developments in each of the 17 remaining territories inscribed on the UN list of Non-Self-Governing Territories, and prepares annual working papers on each Territory;
- Supports substantively the C-24 and the Special Political and Decolonization Committee (Fourth Committee) of the General Assembly, where representatives and petitioners from the Territories expresse their views;
- Support substnatively the C-24 for its visiting missions to Territories, as well as its annual regional seminars held alternately in the Pacific and the Caribbean, bringing together representatives of the Territories, members of the C-24, administering Powers and other stakeholders;
- Maintains the website entitled “The United Nations and Decolonization” in the 6 official UN languages; and
- Works with the Department of Global Communications in the dissemination of information on decolonization in accordance with the relevant resolutions of the United Nations on decolonization.